As the new year begins, I tend to reflect and try not to make resolutions . I feel resolutions just set people up to fail so I am going to go with the more realistic approach and think about how I can just be a better person~
Reflections-
The one area I reflect on ALOT is- I am being a good mom to the girls?? I wonder if I am giving them all tools they need to make the right choices as they enter some of the most difficult years. When I see nastiness or kids making wrong choices, I always try to turn it into a a teaching moment. I know my girls are not perfect and there are things they do that sometimes may hurt someone. However, if I find out they know there are consquences. I also take that opportunity to discuss and give them alternate solutions so the next time it happens they can choose a better option. I know I am not a perfect parent so I hope the things I do wrong does not having last impact on them. I did not worry about this when they were younger but as they are getting older and more independent I just pray I am doing the right things to help them become good -hearted successful people!
I also think about how lucky I am to have some of BEST friends in the world. I know there are those who do not understand why they mean so much or why they are such a big part of our lives. The answer is quite simple- they are not just my friends but my family. Who says family is only those blood related, a family is so much more than that! A family are those who are there for day in and day out are or when you are not sure you even need something, who pick your kids up at the last minute because you are running behind or there is a conflict, who take your kids for weekend so you can go to a Steeler game :) , who are there to listen and do not judge even when they disagree and do not hesitate to pitch in and find ways to help when someone is having a rough time. The list could go on and on and on and on and there is just not enough time or room to list them all....
Please do not get me wrong, I love my family and they are there for me as much as they can be but since we do not live close to immediate family members I feel blessed and lucky to have such an AMAZING support system who started out as friends but now are considered family too!!!
Improvements
Doing things that make me happy and not worrying so much about how other family and friends may feel about it. I am always trying to do things to keep others happy or avoid upsetting them that I often end up miserable and just going through the motions. I know this is going to be hard because some people are not going to get it and my natural instinct is to keep everyone else happy. I am hoping that if I am doing more for me then end I am happier and those around me are happier. It is my life and I need to make decisions that are BEST for me and my family and stop worrying about everyone else and what they they think or if it upsets them! This is going to be hard but I am going to try, it is one of those improvements that does not happen overnight and will always be a work in progress.
2010 was not an awful year however there are some things I hope to see less and some things I would like to see more of!
Less- cancer and other devasting diseases, negativity, judgemental people.
More- cures or treatments for cancer, CF and Rhett syndrome and in general just people taking a step back before they say or do something that is hurtful to others!
In general I just want to be a better Mom, wife, daughter, sister and friend in 2011! I hope that 2011 is good to all that I love!
Happy New Year Everyone!!!
2 comments:
I think you are already a great friend, wife and mother but I know that we all have much that we can learn from each other...and 2011 will be a great year for that!!
eVery nice post my friend! Thanks for being there for our family. I hope I am able to return the favors! You are a great mom and friend! As Christa said...let's all learn from each other!
Post a Comment